Cyber Security Salaries
Cyber security careers earn a premium over ordinary IT jobs. There is a shortage of qualified labor although it is one of the career paths where direct reports can make more than the people they report to.
What is the average salary for jobs related to cyber security? That answer depends on where the job is located, the applicant’s level of education, certifications earned, and years of experience. Like most industries, there are cyber security experts in a wide variety of jobs – from IT Security Analyst all the way up to a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
According to a report salary ranges reported by IT job board DICE.
- In New York City, New York the average CISO salary ranges from $149,000 to $367,000 and the average salary is $240,000 annually.
- In Washington, D.C. the average CISO salary ranges from $139,000 to $334,000 and the average is $225,000.
- In Los Angeles, California the average CISO salary ranges from $138,000 to $341,000 and the average salary is $233,000.
- In Chicago, Illinois the average CISO salary ranges from $132,000 to $328,000 and the average salary is $214,000.
As expected in any white-collar career path, top cyber security job salaries go to higher-level positions including executive level and directors.
Best paying Cyber security jobs
- Lead software security engineer – $233,333 average annual salary
- Chief security officer – $225,000
- Global information security director -$200,000
- Chief information security officer – $192,500
- Director of security – $178,333
A May 2017 salary survey of cyber security related jobs for the New York metro area, listed the following salaries.
Cyber Security Salaries in New York, NY
- Security Specialist – $66,662 average annual salary
- Information Technology Specialist – $69,097
- Intelligence Analyst – $73,933
- Information Security Analyst – $106,761
- IT Security Specialist – $131,260 per year
- Network Security Engineer – $132,173
The same survey showed higher salaries for the lower level, less skilled cyber security jobs 9 Security Specialist and Information Technology Specialist) but lower salaries for the upper-level careers requiring more expertise. Cyber security salaries, when adjusted for the Chicago area, are listed below.
Cyber Security Salaries in Chicago, IL
- Security Specialist – $92,383 average annual salary
- Information Technology Specialist – $65,692
- Intelligence Analyst – $83,914
- Information Security Analyst – $94,870
- IT Security Specialist – $121,310
- Network Security Engineer – $93,278
Other relevant job titles include:
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Cyber Security Intern
- Cyber Security Specialist